On my personal social channels, I have been quite vocal in my support for Black Lives Matter. I want to clearly state that I, and Lavish Literature by extension, will always support Black Lives Matter. While I aim to create a welcoming space to discuss books, there is no place for injustice and prejudice here — or anywhere.
I am committed to diversity and will actively work to uplift Black voices and support Black authors. A quick look through my Goodreads shelves shows that the books I’ve read have been predominantly by white authors; only 12.5% of the books that I’ve read this year were by Black authors. I will read more diversely and more strongly champion books by Black authors.
Ways To Support Black Authors
- Follow Black authors on social media
- Read, review, and share Black stories
- Order from Black-owned bookstores
Ways To Support Black Lives Matter
- Sign a petition
- Make a donation, if you have the means to do so
- Take some time to educate yourself
- For my fellow Canadians, here’s a very good resource with petitions, protests, and numbers of elected officials to call
Black lives, stories, and voices matter. Today and every day.