I can’t believe it’s already February! 2022 feels like it’s just flown by so far, even with Ontario’s semi-lockdown in place. My birthday is exactly one week from tomorrow and I am not prepared to get any older, although I am looking forward to picking up birthday cupcakes — and maybe myself getting a few new books!
Since nothing indoors (restaurants, concerts, etc.) was open in January, I had a lot of time at home, which means a lot of reading time! I managed to finish 10 books in January, putting me ahead of my Goodreads goal by 6 books.
All of these books were backlist titles, and I’ve completed 19% of the Beat the Backlist prompts with them! 2 of these books counted for the #ReadQueerToo2022 Reading Challenge and 7 of them were used for Popsugar 2022 Reading Challenge prompts (which is going to be tough to finish!). Overall, not a bad start to my reading challenges!
My average rating for the month sits at 3.69 stars, which isn’t bad. Hopefully I find more books that I love, rather than just like, in February!
- Off the Record by Camryn Garrett | 2.5 stars | tackles important issues, but the impact was weakened from the book trying to do too much
- In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren | 3.5 stars | a sweet and cozy holiday read with a strong family focus
- Gilded by Marissa Meyer | 3 stars | an amazing premise, but would have worked better as a shorter standalone
- I shared reading stats and my favourite 2021 reads in a reading recap
- I shared my bookish resolutions
- I talked about the 2022 reading challenges I’ve joined
- I shared the most recent additions to my book collection, including some cute enamel pins
- I talked about the books I wanted to read in 2021, but didn’t get around to reading (yet!)
- I shared new-to-me authors I discovered in 2021
BOOK PURCHASES/FROM PUBLISHERS
HCC Frenzy sent me a copy of Only a Monster by Vanessa Len and I can’t wait to start reading it! A book with no heroes, and a girl who has to embrace her own monstrousness to save her family? Sounds like the perfect morally grey read.
FAVOURITES FROM AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
- Victoria at The Contented Reader shared the best new romance books to read in 2022 and they all sound amazing
- Rainbow Reads compiled a list of January-June 2022 releases with bi protagonists – a great reference if you’re also doing the #ReadQueerToo2022 Reading Challenge!
- Kat at Life and Other Disasters recommended books for celebrities to read based on their tastes (which is such a fun idea!)
- Marie at Drizzle & Hurricane Books shared ways to increase your blog’s traffic
What were some of your favourite books/posts/moments from January? And what do you have planned for February? Let me know in the comments below.